The Historic Stringer Hotel and Ramshorn Inn
Historic Stringer Hotel & Ramshorn Inn
a Dubois landmark for 103 years
The Stringer Hotel was built in 1913, the first frame-constructed hotel with clapboard siding in Dubois and the only three story building in town for 50 years. Five years after the Stringer Hotel opened, it was upstaged by the Ramshorn Hotel, which was built across the street on the corner where the Opportunity Shop is now.The Ramshorn Hotel had a majestic Italianate store front with four columns. A gas station was added to the corner of the property, until the new Ramshorn Inn building was constructed adjacent to the Stringer Hotel in 1950. The hotel ceased operating around the same time. The buildings were then joined together inside, The corner buildings combined complex was finished in local sandstone and known as the Ramshorn Inn. This is why you see a short set of steps between the two dining room areas.The lower area was formerly a cafe with a lunch counter, while the upper area served as a steakhouse.Both rooms have been renovated and the restaurant is once again serving meals and drinks, something that had not been done since 1998. The building operated as a restaurant and bar from 1965 through 1976 as the Westerner. Today there is a warm multi-purpose room name the Fireside Lounge, great for private meetings or parties. The corner bar and lounge are gone, replaced by a fishing retailer and outfitter. The only walk-in package liquor store has been moved to the east end of the building with ample parking.